Delaney Estate Sale Benefited Chester Historical Society
The Chester Historical Society was honored to present the Barbara and Edmund Delaney Estate Sale on Saturday, Oct. 13 from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 48 Middlesex Ave. (Rte. 154), Chester.
The Delaneys were both instrumental in the founding of the Society 48 years ago. Both served as Society presidents over the years, wrote and/or edited Chester publications, and helped form the Collomore Concert Series. Both made such a difference in Chester that in 1990 they were honored for “contributions that have enriched our lives and our town immeasurably.” After Edmund’s untimely death in December 2000, Barbara helped organize the purchase of the 1860 Griswold Mill building that became the Chester Museum at The Mill. She died this past March.
Barbara and Edmund’s dearly loved longtime home in Chester – an 1806 colonial on Gorham Road – will be going on the market this fall and the Historical Society was given the privilege of selling all the items from the house and barn that are not being kept by Delaney family members. There were antiques and other furniture, oriental rugs, paintings and prints, mirrors, bric-a-brac, lamps and much more. The sale was a huge success and was populated by many people who knew the Delaneys and wanted a piece of history from their home.